If your microsoft windows xp keeps defaulting to guest login you might have “simple file sharing” enabled.
To fix this issue, make sure you “disable simple file sharing”
“To disable simple file sharing yourself, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click My Computer.
- On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
- Click the View tab.
- In the Advanced Settings section, click to clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box.
- Click OK.”
If windows still defaults to the guest account when trying to access your samba shares for example try this work around:
1. Create a Mapped drive to the samba share
3. Enter the user id and password of the samba user who has access to the resource that you are trying to access.
5. That will be it until we find a permanent solution.